Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sri-Lanka Phone Number List
For the totally wired citizens of the U.S. and most modern societies; with their personal computers, cellphones, iPads, iPhones, and a "gps" system in the car for the directionally challenged, living abroad might create more communication cultural shock that you can imagine. We do not want to be disconnected from our electronic world, and want to continue our frequent Sri-Lanka Phone Number List contact with our family and friends. But how do we keep in touch with home while living abroad?
In many metropolitan areas of the world, this is not a problem. Wide band internet connections are common in most modern cities, and internet cafes exist in some of the towns most distant from these metropolitan areas. I have had little problem finding connections for internet communications in most areas I have visited, but admit that sometimes the number of available internet connections are not as frequent nor as fast as I would have liked. For example, when I visited China 6-7 years ago, I found that even in the best hotels, the internet speeds were much slower than I had become accustomed to. I suspect that after the upgrades leading up to the 2008 China Olympics it is probably considerably faster now, but have no documentation of that fact.
Our present generation has little patience for communicating through the postal system (which is sadly lacking in many countries anyway), so ultimately keeping in touch with home will have to be done electronically. And, for the most part, this requires the internet or traditional telephone systems.
The most common methods for communicating with home while living abroad are: telephones (traditional, cellphone, and internet), email, instant messaging, and posting on social network sites. VOIP (voice over internet protocol) internet based phone systems have become quite efficient and of high quality.
Three of the most common internet phone service providers are Vonage, Skype, and MagicJack. I have used all three of these.

• Skype is the least costly when making calls to other Skype users, but

• Vonage and MagicJack provide you with a local (your home area) number and when connected to the internet, you can call your home area numbers as if you had never left the U.S.
[Image: Sri-Lanka-Phone-Number-List.png?w=1000]In order of cost the services are:

*Skype (free for most calls),
*MagicJack (annual fee of about $30 to $40) and
*Vonage (monthly fees from about $15 & up).
Each has limitations and benefits that have to be calculated in before you decide which, if any of these, is best for you. The fees are average costs and may differ from those listed.
The last time I was in Spain, I carried my Vonage connector with me and made numerous calls from Southern Spain to my family in the States, all as if I were still in the U.S. I simply connected my Vonage unit to the internet through a USB port and dialed home. Just a few months ago, while in Panama, I used the MagicJack USB connector with my local U.S. number, connected it to a handset I brought with me, dialed out, and talked sometimes for hours -- all free accept for the annual cost of the MagicJack.
Instant messaging services through AOL, Yahoo, and other services provide an almost instantaneous means of communicating anywhere in the world, as long as you and the person with whom you wish to communicate are online at the same time. If you want to be sure to be online at the same time, set up a specific time by email ahead of time. The same ability to carry on instantaneous conversations exist on Facebook and some other social networking sites.